Family Law Blog
On behalf of Law Offices of Barry I. Finkel, P.A. posted in collaborative law on Friday, September 14, 2018.
If you and your spouse are planning to divorce, you are probably researching ways to get the job done. The law today offers more options than ever before for couples to end a marriage. Collaborative law is one such method that can be less stressful for couples divorcing in Florida, but it might not work for everyone.
You may already be aware of the advantages of using the collaborative law method of divorcing. Some of these include negotiating in an informal setting, openly exchanging information, finding a speedy resolution and making decisions about how to address any potential disputes.
To most couples considering divorce, these advantages probably sound great. However, it is a good idea to explore any potential disadvantages before making a decision. It is probably safe to say that many couples can benefit from a collaborative law divorce. However, there are a few downsides to this approach, depending upon your unique situation.
Your attorney will go over both the pros and cons of collaboration with you during your consultations. In the meantime, here are a few of the most common disadvantages of collaborative divorce for you to consider.
- Not all attempts at a collaborative divorce are successful.
- If unsuccessful, you will have to start over.
- The process could be costly if you bring in professionals (like accountants and child experts) to assist.
- If one spouse is abusive or even just reluctant to participate, a collaborative law approach may fail.
It is wise to talk about all of the available divorce options with your attorney before moving forward. These frank conversations can go a long way in setting yourself up for success. You can find additional information about collaborative divorce on our website.
- Ex-baseball star wants reduction in child, spousal support Tuesday July 07 2020
- What not to post on Facebook during your divorce Tuesday July 07 2020
- The team approach to a collaborative law divorce Tuesday July 07 2020
- Can a postnuptial agreement make property division easier? Tuesday July 07 2020
- Is it possible to appeal a divorce decree? Tuesday July 07 2020